Me in a Parallel Universe

Hi peeple.

Let me just share with you what might have been should the stars did align and were in favor of all my aspirations from the time I had sound consciousness enough to construct dreams and draw inspiration from.

What you will read below are all false, they never happened, because I was, and still is, under a multitude of "unfortunate" scenes in life. Had it been kind to grant all of them, these could have transpired:

Image from Wikimedia Commons. By Basile Morin.
Used under Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International license.

Let me start with the mid-1990s, no joke, life back then was really relaxed. That time, there were only five in the family: my parents, my elder brother, a younger sister (well, she's the eldest of my siobes in real life), and I. My parents both had secure jobs, my brother and I were attending schools, siobe would soon be after. The entertainment we had were mainly television, but we had a stereo radio set, and my brother sometimes would secretly bring home Nintendo Gameboy that his classmate lent him. Our parents were very apprehensive about these gadgets, as they consider them "distractions" to our studies, so kuya had to make sure he plays with it without our parents and yaya finding out. (Yes, we had yaya back then.)

Okay, so in the parallel universe, the family would have stopped growing in numbers. My mother decides to remain in the company she's working with despite the competition. By then, we already acquired a set of encyclopedia, a huge dictionary, several American science books, and a globe. Personal computers were such a luxury back in the day, only a handful of my classmates had it, a very very few computer shops were existing. But just what I said, my parents are not in favor of gadgets, so we would not have the PC just yet despite us pleading.

My father here would be aware of his physical health as the consequences of him being a smoker started to creep in. He would choose to heed the doctor's advice and my mother's guidance in order for him to stay fit; he would be contemplating on his actions and for our sake, he would quit smoking.

We would have high hopes in welcoming the new millennium because the family bond is strong and we would not feel we lacked something. Our needs are adequately attended to; our education is nothing less of a priority.

My kuya would have gotten a computer science program for he has exceptional computer skills that would inspire him to create an online game that will put the Philippines on the gaming map. This would be a turning point for my parents to finally grant our wish to have our personal computer. Cellphones are becoming a thing, so my parents and kuya would have one each. I and siobe would soon have our own because paying for three cellphones altogether is super costly.

Times would be hard because of the impending global recession. Our parents had to make a decision about our studies, since kuya is already in college, it would be a setback if he stops, so I and my sister would say we will be fine if we were transferred to public high schools with high quality of education.

I would have been accepted to a science high school to equip myself in taking up a meteorological course in college. My younger sister may have been educated in Cavite under the supervision of my aunt (mother's sister) since her husband (mother's brother-in-law) is very fond of my siobe - they have two sons but no daughter. She would come back home during weekends and vacation.

All of us would have been excellent in our own fields in college: kuya would now have become a pioneering computer programmer; siobe would have joined our cousin in Cavite in pursuing culinary arts; while I would have become a meteorologist still aspiring to follow the footsteps of Ka Ernie Baron on TV.

As our parents reach their mandatory retirement, our family would have relocated to a more peaceful place and had our Manila residence sold to our neighbors or relatives. Visiting our relatives in Sorsogon and Samar (my parents' home provinces) would be a regular event to reconnect with them and help address their needs.

The post-college me would have been initially working at PAGASA to hone my skills in weather forecasting. Since I like writing articles, I would have been able to help the agency in making forecasts closer to the public's comprehension. At the same time, I would have been busy accumulating more knowledge so that I can hopefully succeed my idol Ernie Baron in his radio and TV stints at ABS-CBN.

I would be aware that due to my geekiness, it would be difficult for me to find someone who has the same interest as mine. After several years, that perfect someone would come into my life and would explore things together. My strategy would be asking or consulting her on things that I genuinely have little idea of accomplishing, so that she can feel her strengths and would not feel some inferiority. With that, the plan succeeds and at age 27, we would be wed and have kids together.

So at this point in time, I may be having my first-born child with her. I prefer to have a male first-born, but it would be fine if it's a girl; again, just a preference, nothing sexist there.

I would be enjoying the presence of my wife, my child and my parents. My kuya and siobe would be having their own families as well. Despite us living in separate locations, we would still be in constant communication with each other.

As for my job, I would have been very contented because it would give me opportunities to share my expertise with people, expertise that can actually help the public decide for their safety. Appearing on TV or radio would be a huge bonus, I would admit at this point that I would never be at par with Ernie Baron's level of knowledge.



By this time, I am transported back to reality.



Okay. That was awesome. What a good life.


P.S.
I encourage you to write your own narration on what your life might have looked like in a parallel universe. I guarantee you, it can make you feel better.

Post a Comment

0 Comments